There are basically three types of masks used during COVID-19 pandemic. They are cloth mask, surgical mask, and N95 respirator. Each has a specific function in preventing the spread of viruses. During a pandemic, N95 masks are extremely expensive and may be in short supply because of worldwide demand. Surgical and cloth masks are more cost effective and can be easily found online. Because COVID-19 is so contagious and lethal, it is imperative that you...
Learn proper etiquette in installing, removing, and disposing of masks...
- Wash your hands before putting a mask on and taking it off.
- The nose seal should always be at the top of the mask.
- The mask should cover both your nose and mouth.
- Avoid touching the outside of the mask or pulling your mask off to talk to people.
- Facial hairs can affect the sealing of masks..
- Wearing a face mask in public during a pandemic protects others from you. Act as if you have the virus and stay at least 6 feet away from others.
- Do not wear N95 mask while driving long distances. This may cause difficult breathing and you may fall asleep at the wheel.
- Children under age 2 should not wear a mask
- If you blame China for COVID-19, make sure your mask do not say 'made in China'
- If you're in public without a mask or failure to follow social distancing guidelines, start counting - 14 days before you are hospitalized and 21 - 28 days before you die of COVID-19.
- Label your mask. Do not share masks. Do not lay a mask down unless you store it for reuse. If the mask falls to the floor, discard it promptly.
- If you are reusing a mask, store it in a sanitized dry container or self cleaning UV cabinet.
- Masks labeled as one-time use should not be reused. If you choose to reused a mask, follow proper guidelines for usage, cleaning, and storage.
- Wearing gloves is a great way to help you remember to avoid touching your eyes, nose and face.
- If a face mask is not available, a cloth bandanna or scarf is appropriate. See surgeon general video on how to make a cloth mask
- Used masks may contain respiratory mucous and is considered bio-hazard waste. Please label and dispose properly.
- Don’t touch the front surface of the mask. This area may be contaminated.
- Cloth mask used with a particulate filter makes it more efficient when in contact with infected patients.
- Surgical masks are effective in blocking particle droplets that may contain bacteria or viruses..
- An N95 mask captures and traps 99.9% of particles - up to 0.3 microns. They are recommended for front line healthcare workers who care for COVID patients.
Statement About Wearing Masks on Airlines...
Read new requirements of JetBlue Airways, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and Delta Airlines...
Costco to require all shoppers to wear face masks: