Monday, April 9, 2012

How to Remove a Stuck CV Axle Shaft with a Tie-Down Strap and Pry Bar – It Really Works



Okay, I know this sounds crazy but a 10th grade student brought a tie-down strap to my automotive class to remove a stuck CV axle shaft on his 2001 Kia. Before trying this weird idea, one student decided to call the local parts store to “get the right tool for the job:” a CV axle puller. Great idea! After spending $31 for this tool, the darn thing did not work. The tool was not thin enough to get behind the axle to attach a slide hammer.

After wasting a whole class period with the "right tool,” I decided to go with a student's weird tie-down strap idea. How do you wrap a tie-down strap around the back of a CV axle shaft?  

First, separate the shaft at the back boot (not required, but it gives you extra room to work).

Second, use the flat surface of the strap to lie along the back of the axle, creating an “L-shaped” layer around the shaft extension. This keeps the strap from slipping off the shaft.


Spool the yellow flat of the tie-strap around the back sides of the shaft extension – creating an "L-shaped" layer that must overlap or cross at least once for pulling…

Third, connect one end of the strap to something solid on the vehicle; and connect the other end so that the strap pulls in the direction of axle removal (creating a 90 degree pull angle).  

Fourth, tighten the ratchet handle on the strap, and apply constant pressure on the joint.

Fifth, tell everybody to get out of the way, because this force can create a projectile if the axle suddenly release.  


Of course, after applying pressure to the strap, nothing happened. Nothing!

That’s when I went underneath the car with a pry bar and gave the axle shaft end an upward jerking pry because the straps was pulling downward at an angle to prevent the strap from slipping off the shaft. After a couple seconds of rocking the shaft – BAM! The shaft “broke free” and automatic transmission fluid poured out. The old tie-strap idea worked without any damage to the transmission and it did not cost us a dime. The only bad thing about this idea was that I was splattered in automatic transmission fluid. So much for being a professional (http://bit.ly/IdEaCZ  click here for a laugh)!

The morale of this story:  listen to your students, their ideas sometime work.

Amazing Students with Weird Ideas That Work!

No comments:

Post a Comment